[pdftex] Latest version

Ben Crowell crowell02 at lightandmatter.com
Sun May 12 12:36:00 CEST 2002

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>CTAN is more than welcome to mirror the TeX Live source, if that
>would help.
Sounds reasonable. TeXLive appears to be up to date and well maintained.

>if you could just define what the 50 keystrokes are?
I don't maintain Tug or CTAN, so I don't know how they work. Why would
it take more work than that just to change a stale link?

Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>i know no more about the development of pdftex than you do, i imagine;
>and neither do any of the rest of us on the ctan team.
>
>we simply mirror pdftex from the official archive; _that's_ where we
>fondly assume the knowledge resides.  if they choose not to link the
>most recent snapshots into the parent directory, who are we to do it
>for them?
Sorry, but I just don't follow your reasoning here. We all know that the
links are to old, nonfunctional versions. So clearly you /don't/
"fondly assume" that they're links to new, good versions.

>if you don't like the situation, why not volunteer your effort in
>maintaining pdftex?  it may very well be that pdftex's problems arise
>from shortage of workers.
Normally when web site A has a stale link to web site B, I notify the
maintainer of web site A. I don't volunteer to take over maintenance of
either web site.

I don't see any evidence that pdftex has problems, so I don't think we
need to speculate that these nonexistent problems are due to a
shortage of workers.

I have to admit that I'm perplexed by this whole thing. Why is it so hard
to update a stale link?