[pdftex] pdf objects with references to each other?

Robert Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Sun Mar 31 16:18:31 CEST 2002

Hans Hagen wrote:

> What exactly is wrong with the optimization that acrobat applies? I tested
> it on my own implementation of notes (comments) and it came out as
> expected. (just curious)
>
> Hans

There were a couple of things that surprised me about comments
when I started looking at my pdf files with the full Acrobat
rather than just the reader. I noticed that my text notes were
not the shape that I had specified, and that the title bar of
the note included a date. Also when I right click the comment
and choose "properties" I find that what I thought was the title
of the note Acrobat thinks is the author. I couldn't understand
why Acrobat was changing the appearance of my notes like this,
until I eventually discovered that what Acrobat was showing me was
not my own note but a popup of its own creation. And as soon as
I optimize the file that popup gets included and clobbers my
text note for everyone whether they are using the full Acrobat
or just the reader.
I contemplated going back to Acrobat 3, which I used to use
for optimizing my pdf files, or starting to use ghostscript
for the purpose. But one of the main reasons I got Acrobat 5
was to use it to optimize pdf files; so I was pleased to discover
that I could frustrate it by making the popup myself before
it got the chance.

Bob