[pdftex] "Newbie" question: pdftex.map

G. D. Brettschneider pdftex at GDBrettschneider.de
Tue Mar 26 14:26:55 CET 2002

Mike Sowka wrote:

>Warning: pdflatex (file /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map):
>invalid entr
>y for `rtxphvbo': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only with embedded T1
>fonts

Hallo Mike,

I once happened to have this message when I was trying to slant or
extend a TrueType font; so I had to learn that pdfTeX can do these
tricks only with PostScript (T1) fonts...

In my pdftex.map, where all the fonts are listed the pdfTeX engine has
access to, I have lines like these:

hlcbot8rn LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique ".850 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <lbtbo.pfb

The meaning is: "Hey pdfTeX, take the LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique glyphs
from the PostScript binary "lbtbo.pfb", re-encode them according to the
"8r.enc" table, shrink them by 0.85, give them the TeX name "hlcbot8rn",
and embed them in my pdf output file."

If a font is to be slanted to the right, then there would be something
like ".167 SlantFont".

Now, if the outline source were "lbtbo.ttf", the above error should occur.

I think it would be enough to delete "0.85 ExtendFont" or ".167
SlantFont" from the map line, if you want to use that font; or you can
remove the whole line, as Sebastian proposes.

Setting up fonts is explained in detail in the pdfTeX user manual to be
found at www.pdftex.org. The dvips manual is helpful, too. If you want
to typeset with your favorite fonts, you have to run the ttf2afm,
afm2tfm and vptovf programs from the command line. You must look into
every font's afm file to find out the required PostScript name.

It's tricky... maybe your Easter holidays won't be long enough.

Regards,

Gerolf