[pdftex] WMF in pdflatex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Fri Mar 15 21:06:18 CET 2002

    > Is there a good solution for including WMF (windows meta file)
    > in pdflatex?

    > I have tried wmf2gd from libwmf to produce PNG but the fonts do
    > not match, and the text in the figure comes out too big: this
    > appears to be a font problem between Windows and Unix.

    > I have tried wmf2eps from libwmf and epstopdf to produce PDF but
    > the boundingbox information appears to be lost, the resulting
    > figure has a natural size of A4.

I would try ImageMagick.  You must compile it with WMF support (I
suppose it needs libwmf).

The version released 2002/02/15 supports the /CropBox.  That means the
/MediaBox is still as large as letter paper but the /CropBox has the
size of the graphics.

/CropBox support also depends on your pdftex version.  It works with
0.14h but if you have 1.0, you probably have to recompile after having
changed
   #define USE_CROPBOX 0
   #define USE_CROPBOX 1
in pdftoepdf.cc

This is fixed in the current texlive repository.

If you have an older version of IM and/or your pdftex doesn't support
the /CropBox, you can get the size of the graphics using the program
"identify" (part of ImageMagick) and you can pass this information to
convert by a commandline option.

If you use wmf2eps, you can run the eps file through ps2epsi (comes with
ghostscript) to calculate the BoundingBox or you can run
gs -sDEVICE=bbox and insert the BoundingBox comment manually.
Than use epstopdf to create pdf.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de