[pdftex] How to build pdfTeX-20010806 from sources

Timothy Murphy tim at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Mar 15 00:21:57 CET 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 07:10:44AM +0100, G. D. Brettschneider wrote:

> I'm quite unexperienced in building Linux binaries from sources, and
> having solved some basic problems (missing gcc, bison, flex, texmf
> tree...) I cannot come beyond this point when trying to compile the
> 20010806 version of pdfTeX:

You must have started with an extraordinarily sparse Linux system,
if you were missing gcc, etc.

It seems to me that you are still missing the standard /usr/include files.
Also, the linux include files ("#include <linux/...>")
are normally links to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/...
and so are usually only present if you have kernel sources.

In short, your problems seem to me to have nothing to do with pdfTeX,
but rather to do with your Linux setup.

If by chance you are running RedHat Linux,
I would imagine the latest teTeX RPMs
would contain a newer version of pdfTeX than the 200108 one you mention.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim at maths.tcd.ie
tel: 086-233 6090