[pdftex] fonts

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Tue Jun 11 10:16:11 CEST 2002

On Saturday 08 June 2002 16:23, Ingele Roelens wrote:
> Dear all,
> I a drowning in the information about fonts, font files and encoding
> tables. I just want to have my thesis in helvetica instead of times.

Placing:

	\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{aaa}
	\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{bbb}
	\renewcommand{\ttdefault}{ccc}

in your pre-amble will change the default fonts to "aaa", "bbb" and "ccc"

the fonts already present in acrobat include "ptm" (Times) and "phv"
(Helvetica)

So for your specific question, the single line:

	\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{phv}
will make the default font Helvetica, but that is rather messy as \textrm
and/or \rmfamily is meant to be with serifs.

A more logical choice would be to use "ptm" "phv" and "pcr" for "aaa", "bbb"
and "ccc" respectively and then put
	\sffamily
as the first instruction after
	\begin{document}
(presuming you are in Latex) to change the whole document to sans-serif
(which you have just set the default to phv = Helvetica, for in the
pre-amble).

Regards,

	Michael.