[pdftex] jpgs in pdf problems

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Jun 5 21:20:22 CEST 2002

pdfTeX has the parameter \pdfimageresolution [pix/in], which tells how
big a pixel is on screen/paper, if there is no further scaling, e. g. by
graphicx parameters.

Parameter \pdfimageresolution often is unset, and pdfTeX then uses a
default resolution of 72 pt/in.

So if your pictures have 300 dpi resolution, they should be in their
original size when you type \pdfimageresolution=300. --- Unless in the
JFIF header of the image some other resolution is stated.

Greetings Hartmut

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, cris g wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you that you answered so quick. I know that I
> was too subjective. Sorry ... ;)
>
> I know too little things about images. The things are
> like this: I made a screen capture, I saved it as
> img1.jpg. Microsoft Editor (ME) says that it has 513
> pixels width and 230px height. But ME says also that
> my image has 300px / inch resolution. This means 1.71
> in width, 0.77 in height. I don't know why then ME
> shows me, for 100% view, this picture bigger. I
> thought that pdflatex will make my image also so big,
> but pdflatex makes my image like img2.jpg (1.71in x
> 0.77in), than pdflatex works fine, right ? When I
> tried to give a bigger size to this image, normally
> that pdflatex made my image a bigger and of course the
> image losts some quality. How can I make my image
> bigger but not to lost the quality. I make a new
> capture with a smaller resolution ?
>
> Another problem. Do you know a free visual tool to do
> latex pictures (if I make a circle to generate the
> latex code for this) ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Chris

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

> multipart/mixed
>   image/pjpeg
>   image/pjpeg
> ---

Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Henkel
In den Auwiesen 6, D-68723 Oftersheim, Germany
E-Mail: hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
http://www.circuitwizard.de