[pdftex] RE: Patch for better perfomrance etc.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jul 31 15:06:11 CEST 2002

I have just been doing some work with the pdftex version of the psfonts.map
file. It seems to me that most of the fonts listed in there are not of use to
many of us. So the quickest way to speed up searches is to save the original
in psfonts.sav and then edit a working copy to remove all unlikely fonts. For
me for example the entire Omega font area can be removed, also the Literateur
fonts and the xy fonts. Many of the fonts listed don't function without
further work, and some like Lucida Bright aren't even part of the TeX distro.

Each person will of course have a different ``work'' psfonts.map file. This
file when printed out becomes an index to what is available.

When I finish my editing I will post the resultant size.

John Culleton