[pdftex] Patch for better performance of map file reading

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jul 31 16:48:29 CEST 2002

At 12:21 PM 7/31/2002 +0200, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> > >+      Return value:  true if tfm file is inserted,
> > >+                     false if the name is already in the hashtable
> >
> > i think that it should be possible to overload defaults, i.e. esp if you
> > use those 3000 entry files; user should be able to replace entries (in
> > additional files); so in my opinion later entries must overload previous
> > ones
>
>There does not exist any specification except
>for section 5.1 "Map files" of the user manual?

indeed, since it kind of evolved (also during thanhs thesis work);
currently thanh is cleaning upo the code

>   I have not changed the politics with my patch, only improved
>the implemenation. But hashing or some kind of dictionary
>can also be used for your approach.
>
>I try to describe the current behaviour:
>
>Sequences of map files are supported.
>The line
>   "map foo.map"
>will replace all previous map files, if there are any,
>and start a new sequence.
>The entry
>   "map +bar.map"
>adds the file "bar.map" to the sequence of map files.

as far as observed, removing the entries from pdftex.cfg and using
pdfmapfile instead, pdftex loads psfonts.map by default (which is kind of
unexpected behaviour, and not what we want).

>If pdfTeX needs the map file informations, it
>reads in the latest set of map files. While parsing
>the entries, duplicate ones are discarded with
>a warning:
>   "entry for '<tfm name>' already exists, duplicates ignored"
>
>Currently it is possible to replace all entries by a
>new non-empty sequence of map files.
>
>Your with is the possibility to replace only a part
>of the entries, eg. by overwriting them by later
>given entries?
>
>Then I can imagine the following scenarios:
>* Canceling the duplicate warning and replacing it
>   by overwriting generally.

sounds ok to me , but the next is ok too

>* Above only for special map files, eg. given as
>     "map !bar.map"

in pdftex.cfg as well as \pdfmapfile

>   Then the entries in "bar.map" may overwrite previous ones.

this one is more general but has the disadvantage of new map files not
being handled by old pdftex,

what's thanh's preference?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl