[pdftex] Native PDFtricks

Martin Schroeder ms at artcom-gmbh.de
Mon Jul 22 10:46:02 CEST 2002

On 2002-07-15 14:46:26 +0200, Tobias Haustein wrote:
> we're using pdflatex to create PDF documents on the fly in a web application.
> Therefore, speed is an important factor for us (every 1/10th second counts).

[...]

> Question: Is there a package that natively (without calling external programs)
> produces PDF code for _complex_ graphics?

No. If you really need it (and it looks like you do) FAST, you have to
provide it yourself. It shouldn't be to difficult.

> I've looked on the pstricks package but could not figure out, why it shall not
> be possible to emit PDF operations instead of Postscript operations. I've read
> the PDF reference from Adobe but not the Postscript spec, therefore I'm not
> sure whether PDF is powerful enough. However, it seems to me, that PDF should
> contain nearly all required operations that are nescessary to implement a
> powerful graphics package for pdfTeX.

PDF is self-contained, i.e. it can do (in theory) everything PS
can (sans programming).

Best regards
        Martin
--
               Martin Schröder, MS at ArtCom-GmbH.DE
          ArtCom GmbH, Grazer Straße 8, D-28359 Bremen