[pdftex] TeX Live 7 install

Jeffrey K. Bennighof jkb at vibes.ae.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 13 00:34:45 CEST 2002

I recently installed nearly everything from the TeX Live 7 CD.  I would
like to use pdftex, but I found it very difficult to figure out from the
documentation exactly what I have to do to configure properly for pdftex.

As root, I can run pdftex with no special configuration beyond including
the bin directory in my path.  However, as a regular user in Solaris 7, I
get a message that pdftex can't open pdftex.cfg.

Is there somewhere in the pdftex documentation or any other documentation
in the TeX Live distribution a clear, simple, straightforward explanation
of what I need to do to get pdftex set up correctly?

Thank you,

Jeff Bennighof