[pdftex] Spacing problem on imagesetter

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Wed Jul 3 19:28:30 CEST 2002

Hi,

I've sent a 512 page document produced with PDFLaTeX to my printer/service bureau who uses Solvero/Preps to produce films on an AGFA imagesetter.

Everything is ok except of the right part of right-hand pages of the running head. This text which is in small caps is not flushright but seems to produce spurious irregular spaces.

I could not see this behavior in Acrobat on Windows nor in Acrobat for Linux (without any fonts used in the document installed on the system), nor on my PostScript laser printer, nor with GhostScript.

PitStop doesn't find any problem within the file too.

I've send a test page to a prepress collegue who uses a Brisque RIP and he also have the same problem as my printer/service bureau.

He has done several tests:
- Export as PS and EPS from Acrobat and reproduce PDF via Destiller
  produces the same wrong result
- RIP of PDF + exported PS file -> same wrong result
- Importing of PDF in Photoshop -> correct rendering (but as bitmap
  of course)
- Printing directly from Acrobat -> same wrong result
- Placing of PDF in InDesign, RIP with InDesign -> correct result

I have no idea what could have gone wrong. Could someone help me? How can I isolate the problem? Will it help if I don't use font subsetting?

I've used the character protruding and font expansion features of PDFLaTeX.

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr