[pdftex] Han The Thanh's thesis on microtypography

Carsten Schurig Carsten.Schurig at gmx.net
Fri Feb 1 17:39:23 CET 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:02:06 +0100 Thierry Bouche
<thierry.bouche at ujf-grenoble.fr> wrote:

> are you saying that you use thanh's protcode unchanged with
> Palatino?

As far as I read thanh's thesis, the protcodes given there are for
palatino (at least some of the examples are; for font expansion
also)! So you could use them right away...

Further on he writes:

"According to my experiments, the settings of protruding factors as
given in Table 5.1 are reasonable to eliminate most  raggedness  of
justified text with common fonts and sizes for body text. Further
adjustments can be desirable for additional characters or for a
particular font with atypical character shapes."

and

"A set of common character protruding factors gave quite reasonable
results in most cases. Non-typical typefaces may require further
adjustments, which can be done easily."

Carsten