[pdftex] of chapters and parts...

M. Wroth mark at astrid.upland.ca.us
Sat Feb 2 08:28:25 CET 2002

An approach to this is to
    * Seek out the parts of the class and style files that define the
\chapter{} and \part{} macros.  Start in report.cls, but that may not be
the only place to look.  I don't have the LaTeX Companion handy, but I have
a vague recollection that there is a macro used to define section headings,
and that is what you need to find.
    * Copy the relevant definitions to either your document preamble or a
style / class file you will be loading (the chocie among these depends on
how often you expect to use the result: if this is one document, just put
the code in the preamble; if you will be using this style many times,
consider writing a style or class file to capture the changes. (if you do
use a style file, make sure it is loaded after the file that loads the
original code)
    * Change the copied definitions as desired. Since they are after the
original class/style files are loaded, your changes will override the
original code.
I've used this approach successfully, but not specifically with the
sectioning headings, so YMMV.

At 01:01 PM 2/2/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi group,
>How could I prevent LaTeX from writing "chapter x" or "part y" at the
>begining of each chapter (part) in a report document class?
>Is it possible or should I choose another doc. class?
>
>Thanx

Mark B. Wroth
<mark at astrid.upland.ca.us>