[pdftex] Han The Thanh's thesis on microtypography

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Feb 1 09:55:33 CET 2002

At 05:15 PM 1/31/2002 +0100, Thierry Bouche wrote:
>Le mercredi 30 janvier 2002 à 21:24:12, je reçus de la part de
>Jonathan Fine le suivant & intrigant message:

-)

>JF> A cursory glance shows this to be interesting work that is
>JF> tackling important questions.  Not only that, but samples
>JF> were sent to Don Knuth, who responded in a long letter,
>JF> parts of which are quoted in the thesis.  I like it when
>JF> TUGboat renews our connection to DEK.
>
>you really seem to be obsessed by ``Him'', no?

What makes you (JF) assume that there is no connection between the user
community and DEK? Donald Knuth receives all user group magazines and i can
assure you that he reads them. It may occur to you that after done so much
for and in the tex community, he favors to dedicates his time to the real
thing (his books, hobbies, whatever) instead of constantly reflecting in
tugboat or on mailing lists on tex matters.

>What Thanh aimed at was _not_ hanging punctuation, but optical
>justification. Hanging punctuation is as arbitrary as the usual way
>round, it doesn't produce even margins.

right, and this is why we should speak of protruding instead of hanging -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl