[pdftex] Re: [tex-live] Using Mac fonts in TeX

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Mon Dec 30 21:31:29 CET 2002

"GW" == Gerben Wierda writes:

 GW> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/mgs/m/n' undefined (Font)
 GW> using `OT1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 20.

 GW> which clearly is what I do not want. I am able to produce a
 GW> testfont page for GillSans by choosing font mgsr16t, so it seems
 GW> that my gillsans.sty is in error. Can someone in the know about
 GW> TeX and fonts clear this up for me?
 >> you need to create FD files, e.g. t1mgs.fd and ot1mgs.fd which
 >> will make the fonts known to latex.

 GW> These are available.

then, ot1mgs.fd doesn't contain \DeclareFontShape{OT1}{mgs}{m}{n}
definition, and LaTeX falls back to the default font shape.

 >> also note that you described the fonts in the map file as having
 >> T1 encoding, while you tried to use them in your latex file in OT1
 >> encoding. so either you have to create (virtual) fonts for OT1
 >> encoding too, or use the fonts only with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

 GW> This worked.

 GW> How does one create these virtual fonts?

these don't have to be virtual fonts - they may be either plain TFM
files, or virtual fonts (TFM+VF). The latter are required only if your
type1 fonts do not contain all needed glyphs in one font file needed
to represent all glyphs in TeX font encoding (e.g. OT1 or T1).

you can make TFM (or virtual) fonts out of AFM files (which can be
created from truetype fonts e.g. by ttf2afm) with the help of afm2tfm,
and a more powerful approach is to use fontinst...

Best,
v.