[pdftex] Crop marks--solved

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sun Dec 29 09:05:04 CET 2002

On Friday 27 December 2002 15:07, Oliver Heins wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 10:35:10AM +0700, The Thanh Han wrote:
> > >
> > > AFAIK not. I'm sure it's not built in.
> >
> > when I need cropmark with pdftex, I have to write my own output
> > routine. When you are not using latex or context, you are supposed
> > to do everything by yourself.
>
> Edmac has changed TeX's ouput-routine to be used with cropmarks.  It
> should be easy to extract the code, as edmac is very well
> documentated.
>
> Edmac's homepage:
> http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/edmac/index.html
>
> HTH,
> olli

I was able to incorporate the Edmac solution with just a few
statements. The parameters were a bit fussy however.

Here are some original statements (at the beginning of the file):
------------------------------
\pdfpagewidth 4.75in
\pdfpageheight 7.50in
\pdfhorigin=.25in
\pdfvorigin=.50in
\hsize= 4.25in
\vsize=5.75in
-------------------------------
And here are my replacements:
------------------------------
\input edmac.doc
\hsize= 4.25in
\vsize=5.75in
\cropsetup {7.5in}{4.75in}{.25in}{.25in}
-----------------------------
Notes:
1. The \input edmac.doc statement must occur before the other
dimensional
statements.
2. In the \cropsetup statement the vertical dimensions and offsets occur
before the horizontal ones.
3. The offset parameters require a bit of fiddling to get the
pages and the corp marks placed properly.

Bottom line, if camera-ready copy with crop marks is needed then the
above solution is pretty easy for pdfetex. I was spared the task of
rewriting the output routine myself!

Perhaps a stripped down version of the edmac.doc output routine could
be incorporated in the basic pdfetex document. That should also make
it available in Context with a little cooperative effort.

My thanks to all who assisted.

--

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters