[pdftex] How to do an external table of contents?

Michèle Garoche michele.garoche at easyconnect.fr
Sat Dec 21 01:07:33 CET 2002

I have several pdf files named chap1.pdf, chap2.pdf, etc.... As the
files are already big enough, I don't want to merge those files into
one.

Instead, I would like to create a new pdf which can act as a master
file for the chapters, with only hyperlinks to chap1.pdf, chap2.pdf,
etc..

Could someone explain me in great details (as I'm completely new to pdf
production) how to do this (other than creating a html file)?

Many thanks in advance.