[pdftex] type3 fonts in images

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Dec 13 08:49:54 CET 2002

Hi everyone.

Here's a problem that doubtless someone has faced before.
Is there an easy solution?

For a proceedings volume we have .eps images that were created
with  dvips -E .....
Unfortunately, when the authors (or a student) did this, the
system was configured for bitmap fonts, of cmr, cmsy, etc.

Now we convert the .eps to .pdf using  epstopdf or other tool
based upon Ghostscript, so that the images can be used with
a pdfTeX job for the paper and complete volume.

But the publisher is objecting to the use of Type 3 fonts !

What is the best/easiest way to replace the Type3s with Type 1s,
given that we *must* start with the existing .eps files,
and *cannot* go back to the TeX sources that were used to produce
those images ?

Can Ghostscript be configured to make the substitution ?  If so. how ?

Can pdfTeX do the substitution ? How should the .map file be edited ?

Is it best to hand-edit the PostScript source of the .eps files,
to (i) remove the embedded bitmap subset, and (ii) replace it with what ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

	Ross