[pdftex] Newbie question !

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Fri Dec 6 19:53:23 CET 2002

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 07:59, Daniel Pope wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am very new to Latex and Pdf but I have long experience as a
> programmer. I downloaded the Miktex implementation of Latex for Win32
> (win98) and I have installed everything (the largest packages).
> Latex works correcly (so far) but Pdftex (for Miktex) doesn't work.
> I get always a bunch of messages as below:
If you have a programming background you might also want to look into
plain TeX and its successor pdfetex. (Note the e!) It is lower level
programming but it is simpler for simple jobs and more fine-grained
for complex jobs. I typeset novels etc. in pdfetex.

Anyhow to summarize here is the plain TeX family (those variants that
accept plain TeX commands):
tex
pdftex
etex
pdfetex
texsis

...there may be others :-)

For a more structured approach, but also based on pdfetex there is the
fast-growing Context variant.

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters
Rowse Reviews