[pdftex] \pdfannot

Michael Massmann michael.massmann at uni-bonn.de
Sun Dec 1 19:39:40 CET 2002

Dear all,

I am trying to create text notes using the \pdfannot command in pdftex.
Inserting

\marginpar{\pdfannot {/Subtype /Text /C [1 1 0] /T (This is a test title)
/Contents (These are test contents)}}

works fine apart from the curious fact that the Note Properties in the
compiled pdf document say that the "author" is "This is a test title".

I now would like to define a new command akin to that suggested by Barney
Dalton on 17 Jan 2002. I have thus included in my preamble:

\newcommand{\annotate}[2][]
{
    \pdfstringdef\x at title{#1}
    \edef\r{\string\r}
    \pdfstringdef\x at contents{#2}
    \marginpar
    {
        \pdfannot
        {
            /Subtype /Text
            /C [1 1 0]
            /T (\x at title)
            /Contents (\x at contents)
        }
    }
}

and then include the following line in my text:

    \annotate{This is a test title}{These are test contents}

The result after compilation is, however, that the following appears
literally as *regular text* in the pdf document

    title contentsThis is a test title These are test contents

and the text note contains the following title

    @@title

and these contents

    @@contents

I must admit I am a complete novice to latex programming and I don't fully
understand what's going on in the \newcommand code above. I'd be very
grateful, however, if someone could point out to me where things are going
pear-shaped. Many thanks!

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: It may be of interest that I am running the

Michael Massmann
Institute of Econometrics and Operations Research
University of Bonn
Adenauerallee 24-42
53113 Bonn
Germany