[pdftex] map files again

Peter Schröder ps at cs.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 2 15:01:08 CEST 2002

Thomas Esser wrote:

> since we are at the map file subject again: I feel the need for specifying
> additional map file via some commandline switch. That way, people could
> embed fonts (e.g. the base 14) which they normally don't embed.

As my recent experience with the ACM publisher shows the standard fonts are
not standard after all. Forcing the inclusion of the base 14 as appropriate
through an option would be highly desirable in my mind. Creating fake font
names in the map file to make pdftex forget that it knows the basic fonts is a
workaround, but not really a solution (in my opinion). To tell you the truth,
what I am worried about is that the publisher will say they simply will not
accept pdf files produced from pdftex rather than through the dvips->acrowrite
route. While I can hack my local setup to force the inclusion this will not be
a solution that works for those who don't want to know how to manipulate
things at that level...

Peter