[pdftex] How do I use tfm-only font in pdftex?

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmx.net
Fri Aug 2 17:12:11 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 01:40:35PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Question:
>
> I am trying to use a font family for which I do not have the font binaries,
> only tfm metric files. I simply cannot get that to work in pdf output mode,
> and I don't understand why (the manual claims it is possible).
>
> The final users of these documents will have the font families installed
> on their system, so that they will have the correct output, and if I look
> at the documents I would see the replacement 'Adobe sans MM'.
>
> Here is my current mapfile entry (cf. the manual)
>
> minion Minion-Regular !junk.pfb "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
>

> junk.pfb is a copy of tir.pfb. Contrary to what I expected pdftex *does*
> intepret this file, so a dummy file of size 0 doesnt work ...
>
> This compiles happily, but if I try to open the resulting PDF file, the
> Acrobat Reader says to me:
>
>   "Font Minion-Regular has a bad /BBox"
>

> In an earlier attempt the "!junk.pfb" wasn't there,  but then pdftex gives me
> the warning 'invalid map entry: missing font file'.
>

> Removing the '!' doesnt work either, because that way the fontname in the pdf
> document changes to 'Times-Roman', thereby making the pdf document use the wrong
> font alltogether.
>
> Did I miss something or is what I want just not possible?

it should be possible (and it was possible in the beginning).
However, when I checked it now, indeed it doesn't work. Probably it was
broken at some point during the development but nobody noticed (as probably
it is not used at all, as one always embed all font files).

> Another (related) question: it seems pdftex no longer interprets the
> fontflags integer. Is that correct, and if so: could it perhaps be changed back?
> It is a pity that serifed Minion is now replaced with a sans-serif MM font.

the font flag is still read but now it is not written out at all ;(. This
is a bug.

I will fix those problems soon.

Thanh