[pdftex] pdftex performance

Stephan Lehmke lehmke at ls1sol02.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Apr 17 17:09:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

just a remark.

I was asked whether pdftex was able to cope with large included
bitmaps.

So I made 100 bitmaps sized around 20MB and 500 bitmaps sized
around 1-4 MB, and a simple tex file including all of them
with \includegraphics.

pdftex chugged away happily until the Linux file size restriction
of 2GB hit...

I could include 67 of the large bitmaps and 335 of the small ones,
creating a pdf file of almost exactly 2GB.

This took 50 seconds of CPU time and 10 Minutes of total running
time (mostly harddisk access).

Neither pdftex nor acroread seemed to be impressed by the
file size.

I was.

But then again, why should I have been?  :-)

regards
Stephan

  Stephan Lehmke     		 Stephan.Lehmke at cs.uni-dortmund.de
  Fachbereich Informatik, LS I	 Tel. +49 231 755 6434
  Universitaet Dortmund		 FAX 		  6555
  D-44221 Dortmund, Germany