[pdftex] Toolbars In Acrobat Reader / Print protect

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Fri Apr 12 17:52:21 CEST 2002

On Friday 12 April 2002 15:01, G. D. Brettschneider wrote:

> But now that we're discussing ways to annoy the reader I would like to
> know whether there is method to protect a portable document file (a
> little bit, at least) from being printed by the users.
>
> I've heard that Stephen King used that feature when publishing one of
> his popular novels at the internet (and of course it was hacked within a
> short time).

In Latex try:

\pdfcrypt{none}

in the preamble, to really annoy everyone!

I think the syntax has changed from my out-of-date version of pdftex,
but the options used to be:
<<	owner "me"
	user "you"
	print noprint copy nocopy
	edit noedit annotate noannotate all none		>>
where me and you are passwords.

A search for "pdfcrypt" should find syntax to match your pdftex version.

Quick test of whether it is working is File / Document Info / Security
from the Acrobat menu bar.

BTW
Acrobat 4.0 for Linux will _not_ print out files if I use pdfcrypt (even if
"deny all but allow printing").
A simple command line "lp file.pdf" will print them (unless printing is
disallowed).
But I still have to upgrade ....

Michael

PS pdfcrypt is the work of Ricardo Carmenes.