[pdftex] Toolbars In Acrobat Reader / Print protect

G. D. Brettschneider pdftex at GDBrettschneider.de
Fri Apr 12 18:01:39 CEST 2002

>I would like to make some Toolbars invisible in Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.
>
>Please don't! This is a really obnoxious thing for a document to do. Users don't want to have to learn a new user interface for every document.
>
>Have you deliberately hidden the scroll-bar? -- I hate it when people do that ...

This is exactly what I don't like in Thanh's thesis (to be found at
http://www.pragma-ade.com): That you have to creep pagewise through a
document of more than 100 pages, though we're living in the hypertext age.

The initial question seems to be answered at the very end of Thanh's
samplepdf.tex file (to be found at
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/pdftex). Using a pdfTeX
primitive, we can get a lot of free screen space by simply saying:

\pdfcatalog {%
  /ViewerPreferences   <<
    /HideToolbar  true
    /HideMenubar  true
    /HideWindowUI true >> }

But now that we're discussing ways to annoy the reader I would like to
know whether there is method to protect a portable document file (a
little bit, at least) from being printed by the users.

I've heard that Stephen King used that feature when publishing one of
his popular novels at the internet (and of course it was hacked within a
short time).

Regards,

Gerolf