[pdftex] Re: Toolbars In Acrobat Reader 5.0.5

Michael Chapman mchapman at mchapman.com
Thu Apr 11 22:03:20 CEST 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 15:29, Ben Crowell wrote:
>  >I would like to make some Toolbars invisible in Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.
>
> Please don't! This is a really obnoxious thing for a document to do.
> Users don't
> want to have to learn a new user interface for every document.

You have a point (I, for one, detest pseudo-links on webpages that are
actually calls to java .... ), but there may be good reasons (not least
wanting to efficiently use the screen space).

Afterall if you get rid of the tool bar, then the same items can be called
from the menubar ... it might be annoying it might not. If I had a choice
between _software_ manuals that used pdfscreen and ones that seem to presume
that I have a portrait shaped screen, upon which I can read 10pt text,
without forever scrolling up and down the 'page' I know which way I'd jump.

But as I say "you have a point" ... in my original mail I omitted saying that
depending on your OS you may have awful problems getting out of Acrobat if
you insist on launching it with all the controls suppressed .... (but I
thought we were all responsible for our own actions!)!

Rgds, MC.