[pdftex] Problem with underscores in URLs

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 18:19:41 CEST 2002

> > > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > > <argument> ...ct \global \let \OT1\textunderscore
> > >                                                   \unhbox \voidb at x \kern
> > > .06...
> > > l.7 \htmladdnormallinkfoot{token processor}{\_}
> >
> > this has all the hallmarks of fragile command in moving argument.
> > however, it doesn't happen for me with your test program.
> >
> > try posting a test program that corresponds to the log you posted --
> > i.e., do the obvious thing and post a minimal failing document.
>
> The test program that I posted DID correspond to the log I posted.  I'm not
> sure what other one I can send!

sorry: my latex2html stuff was sufficiently out of date that it didn't
have special treatment of pdftex.  (that's what comes of "giving up"
on latex2html... -- i hadn't even noticed the latex2html-2002
that appeared on the archive on easter day ;-)

the failure is indeed due to a moving argument, but the fact that \_
is self-protecting doesn't help it.

the internal hyperref command \hyper at link@ starts

  \edef\Hy at tempa{#2}

and that #2 is your \_ -- it doesn't stand a chance.  (i just
installed the latest hyperref heiko has sent to ctan to check it's not
an "old bug".)

heiko -- could you not use \protected at edef here?

robin