[pdftex] Pdftex and fonts

Mancini Stéphane stephane.mancini at inpg.fr
Thu Apr 4 15:05:44 CEST 2002

Hi,
I had a strange problem with pdftex and fonts
Indeed, I want to use the metafont calligra and
the associated package, but pdftex has a stange behaviour.

I'm using the tetex 1.0.7 distribution and replace pdftex with
pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.7) 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211
(Linux Mandrake 8.2)

I installed the .mf files in the directory
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/calligra
and I processed it with metafont to get the .tfm wich I put into
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/calligra

Then I run pdflatex on my file. The pdf produced can't be viewed with
ghostview
and I get the log file :

BEGIN LOG FILE EXTRACT
kpathsea: Running mktextfm  callig15
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input callig15
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.1)

(/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/calligra/callig15.mf
(/usr/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/calligra/calligra.mf
  [33] ..... (snip) ...

(some charht values had to be adjusted by as much as 0.2175pt)
Font metrics written on callig15.tfm.
Output written on callig15.600gf (168 characters, 47272 bytes).
Transcript written on callig15.log.
mktextfm: /var/lib/texmf/tfm/public/calligra/callig15.tfm: successfully
generated.

Warning: pdflatex (file callig15): Font callig15 at 691 not found

Warning: pdflatex (file callig15): Font callig15 at 2074 not found

END LOG FILE

What is really strange is that it process the first characters but not
the
following.
Moreover, everything works fine if I first process my file with latex
to get
a dvi file and then view it with xdvi or transform it to postscript
with dvips,
wich produces all the needed bitmaps (.pk).

What doesn't work ? What should I do ? thanks