[pdftex] pdflatex/epstopdf questions

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Sep 10 17:27:55 CEST 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Richard Sperling wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with pdflatex 1.00a. I run MikTeX 2.1 with WinEDT
> 5.2 on Windows 2000 service pack 1. There are [three] \includegraphics
> declarations in my .tex document. The graphics are eps files named
> fig1.eps, fig2.eps, and fig3.eps.  I'm trying to use the epstopdf package
> written by Heiko Oberdiek to do the graphics conversion. The document
> preamble contains:
>
> \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
> \usepackage{epstopdf}
>
> When I try to compile the .tex file using pdflatex I get the following
> sequence of errors:
>
> Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
> Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref
> table...
> [...]
> Error: pdflatex (file fig1.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF image failed

epstopdf.sty is only an unimportant wrapper for an epstopdf call.
Therefore the conversion should be done manually to debug errors:
  epstopdf fig1.eps
Does it work, is the result fig1.pdf ok? Can it be displayed
by AR or GS? Which GS version do you use? ...

If fig1.pdf is ok, try a minimal example file:
  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
  \begin{document}
  \includegraphics{fig1.pdf}