[pdftex] Acrobat Reader 4.0 bug, incompatible with pdftex?

Ben Crowell crowell01 at lightandmatter.com
Sat Sep 1 17:27:34 CEST 2001

Nelson Beebe gave me permission to quote the following
off-list e-mail on the list:

---------------

[This is off the pdftex list].

I just tried Sun Solaris Acrobat Reader (4.05) on your simple.pdf
file, and looked at figure b on p. 198: I see labels 0 3 6 on the
vertical axis.

However, I have earlier versions of acroread as well:

acroread-4.0beta (24-Jul-1999)		only 3 is visible, 0 and 6 are gone
acroread-3.01				only 3 is visible, 0 and 6 are gone
acroread-3.0				only 3 is visible, 0 and 6 are gone

Identical behavior was observed on GNU/Linux on Intel x86, Compaq/DEC
Alpha OSF/1, and SGI IRIX 6.5.

Thus, the only version of acroread on our systems which displays
that figure correctly is 4.05; earlier ones all loose characters.

I just checked the Adobe Web site for Acrobat downloads at

	http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html

and found that version 5.0 is still available only for Windows
and Macintosh systems.