[pdftex] a different printing problem

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 22:55:09 CEST 2001

> I had a similar but not identical problem recently: my document
> would stop printing at page n, and to get the rest of the document
> to print, I had to skip page n+1 and start printing from n+2. The
> problem turned out to be specific to the particular printer I was
> using (an HP laserjet), and I was able to print page n+1 on a
> different printer.

that's a fairly standard "this page is duff" problem.  usually caused
by an actual error in something, or the page itself being too complex
for the printer.

> Does your endless-loop problem occur with more than one printer?

we've observed a similar problem with files from applications other
than pdftex, going through un*x spoolers to recent hp 4550 colour and
4100 b/w printers connected to the network.  apparently hp have
recently changed the protocol their printers talk, and it's been
causing our printer expert to lose quite a bit of hair.

nb, the problem doesn't always manifest itself as restart: sometimes
the job just stalls...

does _that_ match the original problem profile?