[pdftex] a different printing problem

Ben Crowell ben_crowell at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 03:49:50 CEST 2001

I had a similar but not identical problem recently: my document would stop
printing at
page n, and to get the rest of the document to print, I had to skip page n+1
and
start printing from n+2. The problem turned out to be specific to the
particular printer
I was using (an HP laserjet), and I was able to print page n+1 on a
different printer.

Does your endless-loop problem occur with more than one printer?

I suppose one option is always to pay for Acrobat, and then go pdf->ps->pdf.
It seems
like a shame, however, when pdflatex is such a wonderful piece of
open-source software!

I wonder if it would be possible to generate a /minimal/ document that would
cause these
bugs to occur, then study the difference between the pdflatex output and the
``cleansed''
output of pdf->ps->pdf, to see what's going on. It might be impractical to
report bugs
to lots of different companies that make pdf readers and printers, and just
as impractical
to convince open-source software authors to produce workarounds for bugs in
proprietary
hardware and software. But maybe it would be possible to make a fairly small
open-source
lint-ish program for pdf files, which would detect and fix various possible
problems.
Unfortunately, I'm not volunteering for the job myself ;-)

---
I rarely check my hotmail account. Please send e-mail to
crowell01[at]lightandmatter.carrot.com,
removing the vegetable.