[pdftex] Harlequin RIP 5.3 and PDFTeX

Martin Schröder ms at artcom-gmbh.de
Sun Oct 7 17:28:18 CEST 2001

On 2001-10-06 21:59:29 -0400, Jeffrey McArthur wrote:
> It really does not matter.  If the PDF out of PDFTeX will not run through
> any level 3 RIP, then we are stuck.

"Any RIP" here being Harlequin, Jaws, Adobe and GhostScript?

PDF produced by pdfTeX in general is no problem with Jaws and
Harlequin; when we had problems with Jaws these were fixed
quickly.

Does Acrobat report any errors with the files?

[...]

> So far, they have a point.  You cannot send a PDF generated by PDFTeX to a
> printer and expect them to be able to print your book with it.  You have to
> flip the PDF from PDFTeX back to postscript and then re-distill it to
> produce a "press-quality" PDF file.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Some of the largest printing houses
in Germany use imposition software which uses pdfTeX as a
backend.

If you have problems with your RIP (i.e. Acrobat reports no
errors but your RIP does) talk to your RIP vendor.

Best regards
    Martin
--
                http://www.tm.oneiros.de/calendar/2002/