[pdftex] Harlequin RIP 5.3 and PDFTeX

Jeffrey McArthur jeffmcarthur at home.com
Thu Oct 4 07:41:07 CEST 2001

We have a imagesetter using the Harlequin RIP v5.3.  The RIP supports
postscript level 3.  If I create a PDF that includes fonts with distiller
(v3, v4, or v5) it runs through the RIP without any problems.  If I create a
PDF with PDFTeX 14h that includes any fonts, then the RIP generates an error
saying the PDF is not a valid input file.  If I do not include any fonts
(e.g. using Times-Roman and not embed it), then it runs on the RIP.

The PDF generated by PDFTeX runs through the Pre-Flight of PitStop without
any errors.

If I use Acrobat to convert the PDF generated by PDFTeX to Postscript and
then re-distil it, that PDF runs through the RIP without any problems.

I remember there was some discussion about problems with font inclusion and
PDFTeX.  Is this being worked on?