[pdftex] Producing and optimizing PDF-1.2

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Oct 4 12:25:47 CEST 2001

At 09:52 AM 10/4/2001 +0100, John Palmer wrote:

>Excuse me going off at a tangent:  Adobe's _PDF Reference ed.2_ contains a
>lot about _linearization_ but nothing about _optimization_.  I and some
>colleagues have assumed for some time that they are the same thing, but I
>would like to hear about this from someone who really knows.

in most cases you can consider them to be the same; linearization comes
down to providing additional structuring info (ref tables and so) so that
pages can be downloaded fast. Optimization includes linearization, but also
concerns removing redundant or unused objects and figuring out what bitmaps
are the same and can be shared.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl