[pdftex] xr-hyper

Reed, Martin J mjreed at essex.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:10:08 CEST 2001

Hi,

I am trying to create hyper link to an external documents so that when
delivered over a web server clicking on the link will cause the download of
the second document and link to the label. I am using the package xr-hyper
and find that this works fine for the documents on my local file sytem but
fails for delivery through a web server. Message in Acrobat 4 is "There was
an error opening this document. No such file or directory.".

Example documents are at the end of this mail. If xr-hyper will not work I
could include an \href (or equiv) but for this to work I need to know the
external pdf bookmark. Is it possible to discover this from a document and
then link to it via a URL (I guess something like
http://hostname/test/test2.pdf#labelname)

Any help would be appreciated

Martin Reed.

Example documents:
%document one test.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xr-hyper}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\externaldocument{test2}[http://hostname/test/test2.pdf]
%\externaldocument{test2}
\hyperbaseurl{http://hostnametest/}
\begin{document}
% this next line fails with warning from Acrobat as above
test a link \ref{testlabel}
% this launches web browser and downloads document but is
% not a link to the correct label position
\url{http://mjrpc.essex.ac.uk/test/test2.pdf}
\end{document}

%document to link to test2.tex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xr-hyper}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\hyperbaseurl{http://mjrpc.essex.ac.uk/test/}
\begin{document}
\section{Page one}

test
\clearpage
\section{page two}
\label{testlabel}
Some more text
\end{document}

--
/ Dr. M.J. Reed                               Room:          4SB.6.15 \
| Dept. Electronic Systems Engineering         Tel:+44 (0)1206 872479 |