[pdftex] acrobat 5

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 25 02:20:41 CEST 2001

At 01:07 PM 5/24/01 -0400, Y&Y Support wrote:
>At 18:16 2001-05-24 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>all) or maybe i've missed some important settings? (Given that i encounter
>>some more bugs, as well as that other bugs are reported on this list), if I
>>had that large a company as adobe, i would put some people on testing
>>before shipping -)
>
>It is possible to get on their beta test list, although not easy.

i used to be even in the alpha but those alpha/beta programs are killed
with a release and i think that all info gets lost

>(iv) do not respond at all to bug reports in between development cycles ---
>simply discard them, since at that time no programmer is assigned to the
>product;

Why do you think that i've given up reporting bugs at all?

>(v)  make it next to impossible to report bugs (it cost me $20 of
>"technical support" phone time to report a bug in Distiller - which,
>of course, was not fixed);

I even was so stupid to joint the dev ass to get the documentation which
when available was also put on the web, and indeed, questions/bug reports
are rewarded with 10K "okay, now you've lost one credit point" again ...
mails

>One consequence is that we have seen the same bugs repeated on a regular
>basis,
>more or less every time a new release of an application comes out --- just
>when it comes to fonts for e.g.:
>(i) treat strings as null delimited - causing problems with character code 0;
>(ii) treat control characters (0--31) incorrectly;
>(iii) do not deal correctly with repeated encoding (glyphname appears in more
>than one place in encoding vector);
>(iv) crash when the size of the Subr vector is smaller *or* larger than
>required;
>(v) crash when the size of the CharStrings array is smaller *or* larger
>than required.
>(vi) crash when there are no Subrs or no OtherSubrs;
>etc. etc.

I really wonder why they keep on changing font handling, which is pretty
old ps based stuff anyway, isn't it? Somehow it's a pitty that it goes
downwards that way.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl