[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Thu May 24 20:50:11 CEST 2001

Quoting "Beuthe, Thomas" <beuthet at aecl.ca>:

> Embedding all of your fonts is something you should always
> consider doing anyway, as the portability of the document
> would not be guaranteed otherwise.  This was an issue
> with the default installation of 4.0 distiller.
> By default it didn't embed the more common fonts,
> and as a result, it caused problems across platforms
> (Windows versus Mac)

We certainly don't want to have to completely embed
all fonts forever more -- really, embedding just the
characters one uses ought to be enough. I wouldn't
mind changing my <'s to <<'s as a temporary measure
if I thought Adobe would fix the problem soon --- but
I rather expect that it will take them the best part
of a year.

So, what about CFF? Is there anyone out there contemplating
producing tools for handling this? What are the issues?

Bob Howlett