[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Christopher S. Swingley cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
Wed May 23 10:40:24 CEST 2001

Thanh,

> > > Where two possible fixes are outlined:
> > > 1. (easy) imbed all the fonts completely
> > > 2. (hard...) make all subsetted fonts CFF
> >
> > Is there a switch to pdftex that will do either of these things?  I
> > have grown dependent on PDF as a "portable" document format and it
> > really disturbs me that many of my documents no longer print correctly
> > for users who have "upgraded" their Acrobat Reader program.
>
> you can change '<' to '<<' (before font file name) in your map files to
> switch off partial downloading.

Sorry to be obtuse about this, but which map files are you referring
to?  I searched my TEXMF directory and found quite a few '*.map' files
that appear to have something to do with PostScript fonts but don't
have any '<' in them.  I also found a fontmap.map file associated
with dvips (TEXMF/dvips/base/), but this file doesn't contain a line
for the font I'm having problems with (cmr10).

The Acrobat Reader 5.0 problem only seems to appear with the default
TeX font (\rm) at 10 pt.  All the other fonts appear just fine (bold,
italics, fonts at other sizes, non-Computer Modern fonts, etc.).
It's as though pdftex is properly embedding all the fonts I'm
declaring, but is assuming that the base font is already there.

By the way, I realize this is an Acrobat Reader problem, not a problem
with pdfTeX, I am just hoping there is a work-around with TeX since
Adobe obviously doesn't care about backward compatibility.

Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle