[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 21 12:58:07 CEST 2001

At 11:12 AM 5/21/01 +0200, Jens Adam wrote:
>At 20.4.2001 15:55 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>At 02:55 PM 4/20/01 +0200, Juergen Bausa wrote:
>> >I just downloaded and installed Acrobat Reader 5.0.1 (german version).
>> >However, I found out that this version of the Reader cannot print my
>> >pdf-files (generated by pdflatex 14f from MikTeX 2.0UP1) on a Postscript
>> >printer under Windows NT. While on a non-Postscript printer everything is
>> >ok, when printing on a Postscript-printer I get the message 'A font could
>> >not be downloaded properly. The printout might be incorrect' (of course,
>> >in
>> >german). In the printout some of the cmr-fonts are exchanged against
>> >courier.
>> >With Acrobat Reader 4.05a everything is fine.
>> >
>> >Did someone else notice this? Is it a bug in the Reader or in pdftex?
>>

>I just experienced the same problem with Acrobat 5 (the "real" thing, not
the reader).

>The Windows (ME, 2k) version gives the message reported by Juergen, the
MacOS (8.6, X) version prints everything in Courier without even telling
you about a problem.

>On screen everything looks fine, well, at least the correct fonts are
visible, but the general appearance is bad compared to Acrobat 4. Character
spacing and gray values are quite different and distracting.

>Are there any new findings regarding the printing problem?

Maybe you have the adobe ps driver installed. Since acrobat sends pdf as ps
to the printer (driver), maybe you need to update the ps driver.

[there are more problems with acrobat 5, i just found a bug in field
handling, which luckely can be solved by 'cleaning' up a file by a perl
script]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl