[pdftex] Generating CJK in PDF

Han The Thanh thanh at informatics.muni.cz
Tue May 8 18:37:06 CEST 2001

> As far as I'm concerned, both ttf2pfb and ttf2pt1 have just become
> obsolete :-)

I am not so sure -- printing pdf files with TTF fonts is not so stable
so one can drop the pfb's. At least printing to PS by AR didn't work for me
when I tested it.

> I got this feature to work after seeing Hans' message, but it took some
> reading of pdftex sources to find out about the undocumented /index<n>
> syntax for *.enc files...
>
> I've used 'ttf2tfm' to generate the .tfm files - I find it more
> convenient than going through AFM files. All you need is a TTF font and a
> subfont definition scheme (what ttf2tfm calls an .sfd file).  All the
> .sfd's I've ever needed come with ttf2tfm.

I didn't try it yet, but I believe so --- especially  when you have the
.sfd files already.

> By the way, Hans' example showed an encoding file named 'gbk-81.enc',
> which made it look as if the encoding file depends just on the charset of
> the TTF file.  I believe this isn't right, and 'gbk-81.enc' actually
> contains glyph indices in the TTF font.  This is a bit inconvenient (one
> needs lots of distinct .enc files), and seems to be asking for trouble:
> what if a user replaces the TTF font by a newer version with the same
> name but different glyph indices?  Wouldn't it be more convenient to be
> able to work with char codes from the Unicode cmap table instead?

yes that's right. We can take a look into that.

Thanh