[pdftex] Generating CJK in PDF

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 7 11:24:11 CEST 2001

At 03:00 PM 5/6/01 +0200, Han The Thanh wrote:
>>  > pdftex can comfortably make files with chinese fonts
>>  > since they are just fonts...
>>
>> Well, that's what I've been doing until now.  For the reasons I
mentioned, it doesn't satisfy the demanding Asian customer.

>>  > just point to the ttf file, like:
>>  > gbsong81 <gbk-81.enc <htsong.ttf
>>  > gbsong82 <gbk-82.enc <htsong.ttf
>>
>> This isn't quite what I had in mind, as pdftex creates separate embedded
fonts.

>> But it is great that this is possible. This should be in the
documentation for the CJK package.  One doesn't need to create any subfonts
at all and can let pdftex do it on the fly.
>> No more running ttf2pt1 on TTF files!
>
>if I remember correctly, then some work has been done on ttf2pfb so it
>can create the corresponding *.enc files for use with pdftex. Hans, Werner
>and Wang can tell more about that.

indeed wang lei [also on this list] has adapted some tools to handle
truetype fonts [we needed it for chinese support in context]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl