[pdftex] Redundant objects: patch available

Otfried Cheong otfried at cs.uu.nl
Fri May 4 15:21:47 CEST 2001

 > > I still don't know exactly where the missing megabyte went.  I think
 > > I'll have to write a small tool to compute PDF statistics (how many
 > > bytes in what kind of data).
 >
 > the pdf spec is quite a `rich' pdf with a lot of outlines, annotations and
 > the likes. I think the amount these elements occupy can be quite a lot
 > (400KB seems too small).

The 400kB number I mentioned was only for the named links.  I measured
the size of the /Dests name tree.

Outlines don't take much space, they are only 75kB for this file.

But I indeed forgot about the link annotations.  A single link takes
about 125 bytes, and there are easily 5 per page on average (much more
on the table of contents pages). That easily accounts for the missing
space.

Otfried