[pdftex] pdftex-pdfcrypt update

Ricardo Sanchez Carmenes carmenes at bioquimica.uniovi.es
Sat Mar 31 14:47:00 CEST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>\pdfencryption=0
> >
> >And how you say AR, that this stream is not encrypted?
>
> Well, the =0 is only needed as an escape for when acrobat needs an
> unencrypted one in an encrypted doc. Just to be sure, like we need ot be
> sure with compressed streams. This way we have all options open.

Well, reading back the PDF specs, it seems that this is currently
no accepted. It would be nice, because this would allow to create
docs with e.g. annotations that are encrypted while the rest is
not (a must for quizes where you provide the solutions, but
don't make them available until you release the password).

If any of you have a good communication with Adobe, you can suggest
them the idea ... but for now, this feature is missing.

Anyway, the day Adobe makes encryption switchable, they will need
to add something more to flag which stream/string is encrypted
and which is not, and we will need to update pdftex anyway to
support it (as well as the corresponding macro packages).

Therefore, my opinion is that including switchable encryption
right now would be useless and missleading, and pdftex should
not support it until it is supported by the PDF specs.

Regards,
Ricardo.