[pdftex] pdftex-pdfcrypt update

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 29 10:14:23 CEST 2001

At 01:01 AM 3/29/01 +0100, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>At 02:30 29.03.2001 +0200, Ricardo Sanchez Carmenes wrote:
>>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> it may be enough to encrypt compressed streams only (i.e. text and
>>> graphical data), since encripting any dict or descriptive object is a
>>> slowdown and not that useful.
>>
>>That's right. This is how the encryption standard is defined.
>>The PDFref specs are clear.
>
>I understand the pdf specs so, that _all_ strings and streams
>(except some of the encryption dictionary) have to be encrypted
>regardless of compression. Other data such as integers,
>names, dicts are not encrypted to allow random access to
>the objects.

I think that it should be possible to disable encryption at any moment
[temporarily] since some streams may not be compressed (and encrypted). I
remember having problems with streams that contain function specifiers. So,
having that backdoor of non encrypted streams (immediate stream objects) is
a good idea since it permits experimentation.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl