[pdftex] \includegraphics doesn't work (no BoundingBox)

Mark Phillips mark at infoeng.flinders.edu.au
Thu Mar 22 13:38:21 CET 2001

Hi,

I have used latex for a long time, but am new to pdflatex.

I want to include an eps file (generated via xfig) in my document.  In
the past I have done this with \epsfig but from reading archives of
this mailing list --- this doesn't work for pdflatex.

I have followed suggestions I found in the archives and done the following:

1. Converted the .eps file to a .pdf file using the perl program epstopdf

2. Put \usepackage{graphicx} or \usepackage{graphics} in my document
(I've tried both --- what's the difference between them?)

3. Done:

\begin{center}
  \includegraphics[width=140mm]{xfig/ch1/doubsq.pdf}
\end{center}

in my document.

4. Tried to do pdflatex on my file (under linux)

With \usepackage{graphicx} I get the error:

! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in xfig/ch1/doubsq.pdf (no Boun
dingBox).

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.10 ...graphics[width=140mm]{xfig/ch1/doubsq.pdf}

With \usepackage{graphics} I get the error:

Runaway argument?
width=140mm]{xfig/ch1/doubsq.pdf} \end {center}
! Paragraph ended before \Gin at iii was complete.
<to be read again>
                   \par

The same error occurs when I use latex rather than pdflatex.

I have also tried using the option \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx} but
this doesn't help.

What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Mark.