[pdftex] pdf file not displaying properly in browser

rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Mar 20 14:33:39 CET 2001

Quoting "Mark A. Wicks" <mwicks at kettering.edu>:

>    That behavior sounds like well-known bug that occured with certain
> combinations of Netscape and the Acrobat reader plug-in.  I don't
> recall
> IE being affected.  I thought it had been fixed and I haven't seen it in
> while.  If it's the same problem, the workaround is to load the
> document
> into Acrobat (the full-product, not the reader) and select the
> "optimize"
> option.  New versions of GS have a stand-alone optimizer.

I thought it happened with IE once -- but I haven't reproduced it.
I haven't tried the GS optimizer. On a few occasions (quite a while
ago) I had some problems with some optimized pdf files that I was
trying to read on the web, and I came to the conclusion that I didn't
want to optimize my pdf files. But it seems that most people think
optimizing is good. I guess the problem I encountered was actually
unrelated to the fact that the files were optimized.

I'd like to know the pros and cons (if there are any cons) of
optimizing one's pdftex-produced pdf files.

Bob