[pdftex] pdftex produces blank documents on MacOS

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 22:28:57 CET 2001

> > I'm using pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d on Linux; this version comes
> > with the regular RedHat Linux 6.2.
> >
> > My problem is that any documents I produce with it are completely blank
> > when viewed with Acrobat Reader 4.0 on the Apple Macintosh. Just to make
> > sure it wasn't me, I downloaded the source for pdfTeX-FAQ.tex from the
> > website and compiled it, same thing: views great on Linux and Solaris, but
> > on the Mac it shows up as 21 blank pages.
> >
> > Has anyone else run into this? Any solutions?
>
> upgrade pdftex.

No; this problem has nothing to do with pdfTeX at all.
The files were transferred to the Mac in text-mode, rather than binary.
This upsets various  things.

It also happens in reverse; if you transfer a PDF made on a Mac to
another system, you *must* use binary mode, else all pages will
appear blank in any reader -- on a Mac or other system.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore