[pdftex] Image transparency

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 21 18:49:42 CEST 2001

At 10:42 AM 6/21/01 -0300, George N. White III wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> are there better png libraries than the one currently used in pdftex?
>
>I don't think pdftex uses everything the libraries can do, but I'm
>not sure we want the added complexity in pdftex.

indeed, but at least we expect that what goes in comes out too, unchanged,
but i'm not sure if in this respect pdf itself can handle that [to what
level png is supported]

>I would be surprised if ImageMagick and Gimp don't have some direct

as far as i can se, my gimp does not handle cmyk and tiff->pdf would be the
only way to deal with cmyk

>PDF capabilities by now, but I would also be surprised if these don't
>need considerable tweaking to support PNG's gamma, etc.

>Since I want to mimic Photoshop EPS + distiller's color handling, it will
>be easier for me to first get EPS that looks like Photoshop EPS and then
>(get someone else to) make ghostscript's pdfwrite device do the right
>thing.  I think the latter is pretty well in hand already.

sounds reasonable and needed too

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl